Psychologist specialising in trauma-related stress
As a psychologist, Hugo has a general interest in working with adults and older adults experiencing: mood disorders, anxiety disorders, adjustment disorders, personality disorders, as well as sexuality and gender identity, anger and general lifestyle and stress-related issues. Hugo has a particular and specific interest in working with individuals who are adjusting to chronic conditions, and individuals who have experienced acute or posttraumatic events and are recovering from trauma-related disorders and issues. Most of his experience is drawn from working with Emergency Services, Military, Police and Protective Service personnel. Hugo employs principles of Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy, Acceptance Commitment Therapy, Emotionally Focused Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, and Schema Therapy to assist in facilitating positive change. Hugo is a Board-approved supervisor and provides supervision to intern and student psychologists.
As a researcher, Hugo is currently involved in a QUT project looking at motivation to change behaviours and a newly developed intervention to implement change. He is also interested and available in researching trauma-related disorders and issues.
Hugo works with various referrals streams including Medicare, VVCS, DVA, WorkCover, EAP and private health funds. He is currently in the process of registering with Brisbane MIND for ATAPS referrals.
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Human Movement Studies)
- Postgraduate Diploma of Psychology
- Doctorate of Philosophy (candidate)
Professional Associations / Achievements / Awards
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency – Psychology Board of Australia
- Australian Psychological Society
- American Psychological Association (division 19. Military Psychology, and division 56. Trauma Psychology)
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- Australasian Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- Australian Association for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy