Movement My Way
Movement My Way (MMW) is a new exercise class for people who avoid exercise due to weight, size or shape-based discrimination, shame or judgement.
MMW acknowledges that physically and emotionally safe, healthful movement is everyone’s right and can help enhance health, longevity and strength.
GO2's aim is to create a supportive, weight-neutral and light-hearted movement community in Brisbane, where everyone has the chance to explore their health, longevity and strength. Classes are small in size (maximum five people per class), mirror-free, socially supportive and are tailored to individual needs by our accredited exercise physiologist, Alanah Dobinson.
A large Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) educational component is also included in each class, exploring topics like exercise fears, harmful societal weight-biases and myths, weight science, the physiology of exercise and chronic conditions, the tailored benefits of movement, and more.
Quarterly group movement outings are also a key part of the program, designed to help desensitise fears of moving in public and to improve exercise independence. Goal setting and the participation in exercise outside of the class setting is also strongly encouraged.
Movement can improve
- Mental health
- Self-care and -compassion
- Muscle and bone strength
- Organ health
- Social life
- Decrease risk and severity of chronic conditions
- Identify and challenge unhelpful weight and exercise beliefs
- Develop a healthy, sustainable relationship with movement
- Engage in regular, life- and health-enhancing movement
- Achieve meaningful movement/health goals
- Become part of and contribute to an inclusive movement community
MMW follows the Health At Every Size (HAES)TM principles, which acknowledge that regardless of shape, weight, or size, every individual has the right but not the obligation to pursue health-enhancing behaviours such as exercise:
1. “Weight Inclusivity: (We) Accept and respect the inherent diversity of body shapes and sizes and reject the idealizing or pathologizing of specific weights.
2. Health Enhancement: (We) Support health policies that improve and equalize access to information and services, and personal practices that improve human well-being, including attention to individual physical, economic, social, spiritual, emotional, and other needs.
3. Respectful Care: (We) Acknowledge our biases, and work to end weight discrimination, weight stigma, and weight bias. Provide information and services from an understanding that socioeconomic status, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other identities impact weight stigma, and support environments that address these inequities.
4. Eating for Well-being: (We) Promote flexible, individualized eating based on hunger, satiety, nutritional needs, and pleasure, rather than any externally regulated eating plan focused on weight control.
5. Life-Enhancing Movement: (We) Support physical activities that allow people of all sizes, abilities, and interests to engage in enjoyable movement, to the degree that they choose.”
6. Community-oriented: We foster and maintain a welcoming, safe and non-judgemental community for all individuals.
7. Goal-driven health outcomes: We encourage individuals to strive to achieve timely and meaningful movement and/or health goals.
Location, times and dates
Location: GO2 Health (Pilates studio) - 468 South Pine Rd, Everton Park Q 4053
Days/times: Weekly, various days/times, 60min duration.
Free parking is available at building’s rear.
1:1 initial consult:
- Using Medicare Group Allied Health Service for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) (81110): $36 out of pocket.
- Using Chronic Disease Management Plan (CDMP) (10953): $51.20 out of pocket.
- Private health (PH): Rebates may apply to full cost of $105.
- Future 1:1 sessions: Bulk billed under CDMP (10953), or PH rebates may apply.
- With T2DM rebate (81115): $12.80/class out of pocket for x8 classes.
- Without T2DM rebate: $33 per class for 5-pack; $30/class for 10-pack. PH rebates may apply.
- 10% discount if bring a friend.
- Note: Items 10953 and 81115 are often used in conjunction with one another for most effective patient outcomes.
People who have been diagnosed with, or who have recovered from an eating disorder* within the last six months are unfortunately not eligible to attend these classes.
*Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID), Binge Eating Disorder, or Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorder (OSFED).
To join the MMW community or to enquire further, please contact GO2 Reception:
(07) 3355 5540 or email@example.com
Movement My Way
Where everyone has the right to health, longevity and strength.